Monday, April 14, 2008

2nd Conference Held in Ljubljana

Omar Salahuddin (Malaysia), Anna Swersky (Israel) and Sam Nelson (USA)

Hello from Ljubljana, Slovenia.

As I write this the Second International Conference on Argumentation, Rhetoric, Debate and the Pedagogy of Empowerment, Thinking and Speaking a Better World, has just concluded at the Faculty of Administration at the University of Ljubljana.

With 22 countries represented and a full program of academic papers presented it would be hard not to call it a success. Exchange of ideas, learning and networking all abounded at the event. Including:
  • Excellent keynote speeches by Frans van Eemeren of Netherlands, Kate Shuster of the USA and Omar Salahuddin on Malaysia.
  • Wonderful reception at City Hall provided by the mayor, Zoran Jankovic, including a private tour of the city castle battlements.
  • Sharp and focused interchange between panelists and audience at the many sessions.
  • Wonderful breaks where plans were made for future cooperation and refinement of ideas.
  • An excellent banquet featuring mountains of delicious Slovenian food.
  • Videos, exhibition debates and panel discussions.

Many of these events were videotaped and will be on the web soon as well as announcements about the publication of a proceedings volume. We are proud to announce a new cooperative arrangement with the journal Controversia to seek submission to some of our papers.

Thanks to all hosts and organizers, and especially to all who attended. World Debate Institute University of Vermont and Za in Proti Slovenia were proud to be the organizers.

More to come about the next conference, now planned or 2010.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The conference was indeed a great success! I would like to offer the organizers a well deserved "thank you" for their efforts!

See you in two years!

Manolis Polychronides
University of Athens

Anonymous said...

Hey i'm new to this. I came accross this chat board I find It absolutely helpful and it has helped me loads. I hope to contribute and assist others like it has helped me.

Cheers all, See Ya About.

Anonymous said...

Sup im new here. I came upon this forum I have found It incredibly accessible and its helped me tons. I hope to give something back & aid other users like its helped me.

Cheers, See Ya Later

Anonymous said...

Good Day im new on here, I stumbled upon this site I find It absolutely accommodating and it's helped me out so much. I should be able to contribute & aid other users like it has helped me.

Thanks Everyone, See You Later.